SUPERVISORY RECREATION SPECIALIST (OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES)
- Manages the Outdoor Recreation Program. Within established agency policy and objectives, plans the outdoor recreation program.
- Develops comprehensive short and long term budgets and fiscal requirements to meet program objectives and maintain internal control.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the activities of Aviano AB ensuring that Outdoor Recreation Programs complies with legal and regulatory requirements and meets customer needs.
- Exercises supervisory personnel management responsibilities.
- Represents Outdoor Recreation Programs with a variety of installation and functional area organizations.
Job family (Series)
0188 Recreation Specialist
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft
- Bachelor's degree in Outdoor Recreation, Therapeutic Recreation, Recreation Management or related degree or two years related work experience is desired
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
BASIC REQUIREMENT OR INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT: Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study - general recreation, or one of the appropriate fields of recreation such as outdoor recreation; recreation and parks leadership; wild land recreation management; natural resources recreation; youth recreation; public, urban, or community recreation; special populations recreation (e.g., senior citizens, institutional, etc.); or physical education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-09, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes planning, organizing, coordinating, supervising, or evaluating community, industrial, outdoor, institutional, or other recreational programs. Planning, establishing, or evaluating a recreational curriculum for junior college or higher academic levels. Instructing in the principles and techniques of recreational program planning and management. Serving in a leadership role in the programs and activities of local, regional, and/or national recreational organizations.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related. NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: A combination of education and experience as described above may be used to qualify for this position. NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-09 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-11 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
- Knowledge of a very wide range of the principles, concepts, and techniques of recreation such as would be gained through extensive experience and/or education in planning and conducting recreation programs, which knowledge enables the employee to plan and conduct a large outdoor activities program to include trips and leisure travel.
- Knowledge of the range of activities and services and of participant interests and needs typical of an outdoor activities program which enables the employee to develop and conduct a very large and exceptionally diversified program in this specialty area.
- Knowledge of procedures for developing and executing both APF and NAF budgets for a very large outdoor program.
- Knowledge of the wide range of concepts, principles, and practices relating to natural resources development, utilization, conversation, and protection which enables the employee to so apply such knowledge as to insure a balanced outdoor activities program which is in harmony with, and properly utilizes, protects, and enhances the natural environment (as might be acquired through environmentally oriented outdoor recreation program experience).
- Skill in the application and utilization of such knowledge in planning and carrying out an outdoor activities program which meets, as fully as possible, the needs of the very large participating community without detriment to the natural environment involved, and which reflects exceptional abilities in the area of the program management.
- Skill in developing new methods, approaches, and procedures for the most effective management of an outdoor activities program of large size, scope, and complexity. Knowledge of the commercial leisure industry including transportation, lodging, dining, and entertainment segments.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.Additional information
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
120-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 120-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 120 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible: MSP applicants, if determined best qualified, must be selected at the full performance level and placed at the full performance level.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
For additional information on what to include in your resume, click here.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
APPRAISALS/AWARDS: Hiring Managers use objective methods and consider previous performance appraisals and awards in the selection process. Current Federal Civilian employees should list any relevant performance related rating and/or awards in your resume.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Not RequiredDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Transcripts/Registration/License: If qualifying on education/position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts and if required for the position, submit an active, current registration/license.
- Veterans: If claiming VRA, VEOA or Veterans' Preference - Submit VOW certification memo or copy of the official DD-Form 214, which must include the character of service/type under honorable conditions (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). This will be annotated in block 24 on member copy 2, 4, or 7 of the DD-Form 214. If you are also claiming 10-point preference and/or 30% Disabled Veteran, you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable).
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a "1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2".
- Promotion Consideration: If you wish to be considered as a promotion candidate and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one-year time-in-grade requirements. You will need to provide additional SF-50s which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-Grade, Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
- Branch of Armed Forces
- Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
- Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
- Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
- Expected character of service/discharge and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
- Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
- Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.
Performance Appraisals for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Most recent performance appraisals (dated within last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor, or statement why the performance appraisal is unavailable.
Awards for Current Federal Civilian employees - List any awards received within the last 3 years on the resume.
Note: Applicant must not submit award SF50s-Notification of Personnel Actions (SF50s).
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Click on "" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a first level supervisor, providing planning, directing, organizing and exercising control over employees assigned to Outdoor Recreation Programs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position. Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.Supervisory status
Help This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Family of overseas employees
Family members of a federal employee or uniformed service member who is, or was, working overseas.
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
- Individuals with disabilities
Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
- Military spouses
Eligible NAF employees are considered under Hiring Path - "Federal employees-Excepted service"
Security Investment PlannerMCR, LLC.THE OPPORTUNITY As a member of the wider MCR Global and Federal family, you will be joining our expanding team supporting NATO across Europe and USA. Working within the4 hour agoShareNapoli, Campania
Regional Assistant EngineerMCR, LLC.THE OPPORTUNITY As a member of the wider MCR Global and Federal family, you will be joining our expanding team supporting NATO across Europe and USA. Working within the4 hour agoShareNapoli, Campania
Sales Manager Consumables, EMEACytivaHelp us improve access to life-changing therapies that can transform human health We are Cytiva, a global provider of technologies and services that advance and6 hour agoShareMilano, Lombardia
Materials Examiner and Identifier (Fork Lift Operator)US Department of Defense€20,43 - €23,84 all'oraDuties Summary See below for important information regarding this job. Responsibilities Receives, examines and determines the condition and disposition of a wide7 hour agoShareAviano, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
XV World Forestry Congress Secretariat Outreach and Knowledge Management SpecialistFAOCALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST - VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: 2001823 XV World Forestry Congress Secretariat Outreach and Knowledge Management Specialist Job Posting:8 hour agoShareRoma, Lazio